In 2 years I will need to begin to take my Required Minimum Distribution, where is the safest place to invest this money?

Terry Says:

Interesting question.  Most people SPEND their RMD!  The government requires a distribution because they want to get their taxes on your retirement money.  But there is nothing that says you have to spend it!  Try building up an account in a bank money market deposit account, so you’ll have some resources in an emergency.  If you have grandchildren, open a 529 college savings account at Fidelity or Vanguard.  The money will grow tax-free and can be used by any of your grandchildren.  (And if you need the cash, you can always take it back — paying a small penalty on the earnings.)

Have a Question?

Ask yours!