Hello Terri, I saw you on WGN morning news the other day, and am trying to find my stocks from an old job, I was receiving statements and heard you talking and thought Id look. I havent received a statement in quite some time and signed into the AST website and it states that they surrender my stocks on 2/12/15. I have a statement from 2/6/2015 that shows my shares? What can I do?

Terry Says:

Oh my goodness.  Your shares were likely “escheated” to the state because of no activity in the account.  If you saw me on WGN-TV you likely live in Illinois.   Here is the website to search under the name on the shares.   https://icash.illinoistreasurer.gov/  Click on the link to search.  And please post again and let me know if you’ve found the money.  They likely sold the shares, and kept the cash for you — meaning you lost the opportunity to pay any taxes at the capital gains rates.   But please let me know the results of your search.

If you want to know why/how this happened, please read this recent column I wrote on the subject.