Ask Terry Questions 401k rollover to a precious metals fund

401k rollover to a precious metals fund

By Terry Savage on April 28, 2015 | Wild Card

I would like to roll one of my retirement funds into precious metals. Can you recommend a trusted broker and fund with low fees? I think I would like a metals fund or certificate rather than actual storage of the metals, but I’m new to this and am seeking advice. I’m 61 and retired, receiving a pension.

Terry Says:  The simplest thing would be to roll over a portion of your 40l(k) or existing  IRA to U.S.Global Investors (  They’ll handle the rollover for you – -and they have two terrific precious metals funds.  (Full disclosure: I have been an investor  there forever!)

I’m assuming that the 40l (k) you mention in the title to the question is one you have left behind at a company you once worked for.  You cannot roll a portion of your 40l(k) while you are still employed there.

But if you already have an IRA at Fidelity or one of the other major fund companies, they also have excellent mutual funds that invest in shares of gold mining companies.  And if you want to simply invest in the “price” of gold, you can open a self-directed IRA at Fidelity, Schwab, or Vanguard and use some of the money to buy the NYSE-listed ETF for gold, symbol GLD.



a personal
finance question