Ask Terry Questions caregiver pay help

caregiver pay help

By Terry Savage on April 25, 2017 | Wild Card

My father had a stroke 2 years ago. He needs help with daily living activities I was laid off work. I'm his full time caregiver he has a long term disability insurance. Can I get a ling term car insurance that would pay the caregiver to care for him?

Terry Says

No, sorry.  You must buy long term care insurance while the person is healthy.  That would be like buying fire insurance after there is a fire!  But there are plenty of state programs that might give you some relief -- including Medicaid funded nursing homes.  If you want to continue to keep him at home, there are programs that will provide respite for you, or visiting nurses.  I urge you to contact your state 's department of elder services.  Here is a link to a directory that will really get you started on this process.



a personal
finance question