Ask Terry Questions Cook County Property Delinquent Tax

Cook County Property Delinquent Tax

By Terry Savage on August 17, 2019 | Housing / Real Estate

On my Cook County Property Tax bill I recently discovered a tiny message that says “Records indicate taxes for prior years may be due. Visit to search”. I searched my PIN and found in 2007 they said I owed $33.96. I sent a check a few days ago, but they returned it. Upon calling they said I need to write a check for $10 for them to create a new 2007 tax bill and will add 1.5% penalty for each month from 2007 until 2019. I think it’s unfair that they never contacted me with a separate notice about the discrepancy of what I paid. I no longer have checks from 2007 to prove I wrote it for the write amount. Do I have resource?

Terry Says

You need legal help on this — quickly.  There’s one expert I always turn to regarding Cook County property taxes — Andrea Raila who has a well-known firm specializing in property tax issues and appeals.  The phone number is 312-587-9494.



a personal
finance question