By Terry Savage on May 18, 2024 | Financial Planning / Retirement

Simple question but haven people answering it. When you pass away, who is the first person you family should contact, financially. We have a will and trust.

Terry Says

Well, the first contact should be the mortuary or funeral home.  They can collect the body (from home or hospital) and start planning the funeral.

I highly recommend that you fill out my Personal Financial Organizer form and leave it where your trusted adult partner or child could easily access it.  Personal-Financial-Inventory.pdf (

That should be accompanied by a note regarding your funeral wishes, information about any cemetery plots, and burial plans.   Your will or Trust won’t be read until after these arrangements are made.  So tell your closest person where to find this inventory and instructions immediately.



a personal
finance question