Ask Terry Questions Estate Planning –

Estate Planning –

By Terry Savage on June 20, 2015 | Financial Planning / Retirement

I’m 55+ and in the beginning stage of estate plan. What is the starting point. Do I need to contact an attorney or financial adviser to prepare a trust or will ?

Thank you Terry !

Terry Says:  Yes, you absolutely MUST contact an attorney who specializes in estate planning.  Because so many of my readers are in Chicago, I often recommend my friend Janna Dutton (312-899-0950).  But if you live elsewhere you’ll want to do a search at  This is the national association of estate planning attorneys, and you can search for one in your location.

Do NOT use one of those software packages.  If you make a mistake, you won’t be around to fix it by the time  it is discovered!

But do some homework first — so you understand the basics.  Not touting my book, but you can go to and get The Savage Truth on Money and read the estate planning chapter, and then you will be prepared to ask the right questions, and understand the answers!

Recent Financial Planning / Retirement Questions



a personal
finance question