By Terry Savage on January 12, 2024 | Investments

I love your show on WGN every Wed. Question where can I put like $10K to make some better interest but yet have access to it if needed. Is there someplace to put it. Second question, years ago I got a gift from my uncle one share of Oracle and one share of United Airlines. It was a joke but now I want to get rid of the shares as I invest in Amazon and Microsoft. How can I get rid of the shares?

Terry Says

Probably your best place is a bank money market deposit account if you need instant access. T-bills make sense by only if you can tie up the money for at least 3 months.

Do you have the stock certificates? If so, turn them over and find the “transfer agent” for the company. They may have an expedited way for small shares to be returned to the company, since the mailings cost them money each year! I doubt Schwab or other brokerage firm (unless the place where you hold other shares) would handle the sale. But if your Amazon and MSFT shares are held in a brokerage account, talk to them.



a personal
finance question