Ask Terry Questions Finances and dementia diagnosis

Finances and dementia diagnosis

By Terry Savage on May 18, 2024 | Financial Planning / Retirement

What should I do to protect my finances after saving for 50 years when husband diagnosed with dementia?

Terry Says

OMG — you need to act quickly so he can sign some papers.  You need an elder-law specialist, an estate planning attorney.

If you’re in Chicago (as many of my listeners are) I recommend the Law offices of Kerry Peck: Kerry R. Peck, Estate Planning Lawyer Chicago, Probate Litigation Attorney | Peck Ritchey, LLC

And elsewhere in the country, (you need to do this with an attorney in your state of residence) use this to find an estate planning attorney:  Find A Lawyer – Lawyer Near Me | Search Attorneys (   this is the website of the American Academy of Estate Planning Attorneys.

Please do not delay in getting professional help before he is completely incapacitated —  making it impossible for you to deal with important issues without getting a court order!



a personal
finance question