/ Ask Terry Questions / Form SSA-1099

Form SSA-1099

By Terry Savage on February 23, 2021 | Financial Planning / Retirement

My mom passed away last August. I have not received a 1099 for her SS benefits. I went on line to socialsecurity.gov but nothing lets me get info for her account. Do I have to file a tax return for her if she made below $26,000? Thank you.

Terry Says

If she was single, the earnings limit for 2020 was $14,050. Since she earned more than the limit a return should be filed — But if there was an estate filed for probate purposes, then the estate would file the return. Did you have a probate attorney handle the settlement of the estate? Were there any other 1099s — other than the one for SS?
Strictly speaking, it is the responsibility of the executor of the estate or successor trustee of a revocable living trust to make the tax filing. But you could wait and see if the IRS contacts you about filing a return. I would also call SS at (800) 772-1213 to see if you can provide a death certificate and have them send you a duplicate 1099.



a personal
finance question