Ask Terry Questions Gifting money for down payment

Gifting money for down payment

By Terry Savage on April 16, 2016 | Housing / Real Estate

I would like to give a gift of cash for a down payment for a house to my son. Around 50,000 to 60,000 dollars. What do I need to do?
Thank you

Terry Says:  Write a check!  You are a generous parent.  You should also consult with your accountant because you should file IRS Form 709 (here’s a link to it and instructions).   You don’t have to PAY any gift tax, nor does the recipient.  But it is a way of keeping track of your lifetime gifts that exceed the allowable $14,000 per year so that if you exceed the limits at your death, (currently $5.4 million) at that point the combined estate and gift tax can be levied against your estate.   Note:  if you are married you and your spouse can EACH give $14,000 per year to you son (or anyone else!).



a personal
finance question