Ask Terry Questions Govt Pension reduces Social Security

Govt Pension reduces Social Security

By Terry Savage on November 26, 2019 | Wild Card

My social security is greatly reduced because I have a pension with the city of CHICAGO. Is it possible to waive the pension in order to collect a much better social security benefit???
Thank you in advance.

Terry Says

Sadly, If you receive a pension from a government job in which you did not pay Social Security taxes, some or all of your Social Security spouse’s, widow’s, or widower’s benefit may be offset due to receipt of that pension. This offset is referred to as the Government Pension Offset, or GPO, or the Windfall Elimination Provision. And you can’t “waive” it. If you want to read all about it, click on this link.



a personal
finance question