Ask Terry Questions Head of household

Head of household

By Terry Savage on April 16, 2024 | Taxes & Economy

My daughter and 2 grandchildren (ages 10 months & 2 years) live with me. She is on SNAP and TANF (only income). She pays me nothing and does not have to pay taxes. Can I “use” her to get the head of household deduction? It will save me about $2,000 if so!
Thank you so much!

Terry Says

Not only that but you can declare them all as dependents, and she can likely claim the earned income credit. Quick go to a tax preparer and file an amended return!

And good for you for being such a wonderful grandma.



a personal
finance question