Ask Terry Questions I Bonds taxes on interest?

I Bonds taxes on interest?

By Terry Savage on February 04, 2024 | Chicken Money

I bought I Bonds when the interest was over 9%. Should I be getting a form to file with my taxes for the interest, or do you claim any interest when you cash in the bonds? Thanks so much and I love hearing you on WGN. Always interesting!

Terry Says

Thanks for your note. You won’t get a 1099 for interest growing on your I-bonds (although if you have Treasury bills, you’ll find your 1099 in your TreasuryDirect account inbox.
You’ll pay taxes on the accumulated interest on your I-bonds in the year you cash them in.



a personal
finance question