Ask Terry Questions Income tax filing

Income tax filing

By Terry Savage on March 05, 2024 | Taxes & Economy

Hi Terry, I am divorced and it is not my year to claim my dependent son. I own my own home. Can I still claim head of household on my taxes?

Terry Says

No. Here are the requirements for filing as head of household:
Head of Household status requires all:
You file a separate return
You pay more than ½ the cost of keeping up the home
You home was the main home for your child for at least 6 months
No one else is claiming the child- there in no noncustodial parent agreement that allows someone else to claim the child

Recent Taxes & Economy Questions



a personal
finance question