Ask Terry Questions INHERITED IRA OR 401K for disabled child

INHERITED IRA OR 401K for disabled child

By Terry Savage on January 15, 2023 | Financial Planning / Retirement

If I leave a 401k or iRA to a trust i have set up for my disabled ( blind ) son versus leaving it to him directly can the trustee convert it to an inherited ira for his benefit so he can take distributions based on his uniform lifetime code?
Thank you

Terry Says

I am going to refer you to an expert on how to handle bequests to disabled children — minors or adults. Mary Ann Ehlert created Protected Tomorrows to deal with all these issues.
Or call them at 866-544-NEED. There are many aspects to this sort of planning and this is all they do!



a personal
finance question