Ask Terry Questions Inherited money

Inherited money

By Terry Savage on January 11, 2020 | Financial Planning / Retirement

Both of my parents passed away a few months ago and we are now selling their home and taking care of their assets and estate. After the sale of the home, as well as the savings that they have passed on to us — I will be coming into a big amount of money (at least to me it is). I just turned 48 years old and now I’m trying to figure out what is the best way to invest this to get the best gain? I plan on paying down my credit card balances first and foremost, but was thinking IRA? At my age — and being so fortunate to have come into this extra money – I want to try to play “catch up” on some sort of savings for my future. I’m certainly not getting any younger! Thank you so much!! PS — My father absolutely adored you and your advice!

Terry Says

Ah, well I owe you — and your father’s estate — some good advice. So let me give it a start. First thing, when you get this money, put it in the bank! There’s no rush to invest or do anything else, except pay down credit card debt. Then I’d really like you to read the brand new edition of The Savage Truth on Money. (I’m not trying to sell books — but my entire life is poured into this and if you would take the time to read at least the first half you would be able to understand what a financial advisor is saying!

And my second recommendation is that you need a Certified Financial Planner who is a FIDUCIARY (there’s an entire new chapter on that in this edition). These advisors promise to put your interests first, and charge only fees, not hidden commissions! You can do a search at a website with carefully vetted advisors who fit this description.

One thing to note: You can’t make a contribution to an IRA unless you have “earned income” — not from an inheritance, or dividends, etc but from actual work. If you do have that income, by all means open a ROTH IRA. Yu won’t get a tax deduction, but you will get tax-free growth. Your advisor can point you in the right direction. Or do it yourself at Fidelity or Vanguard. But it should be part of an overall plan for your future.

Recent Financial Planning / Retirement Questions



a personal
finance question