Ask Terry Questions Medicare supplemental insurance for disabled

Medicare supplemental insurance for disabled

By Terry Savage on April 21, 2015 | Financial Planning / Retirement



Hi, Terry, I have a friend who is disabled. She is 53 yrs old, receiving Social Security disability payments, and on Medicare. For years, her husband’s medical insurance from his employer was her primary insurance and Medicare was her secondary. Now her husband is unemployed, resulting in Medicare being primary and her husband’s COBRA being secondary. Once the COBRA runs out, can she apply for a Medicare supplemental plan? Will this require medical underwriting?

Terry Says:   Gosh, this is a tough one.  I researched it at (I will give you the link) and I think this is the paragraph that applies  But I suggest your friend contact Medicare at 1-800-Medicare and tell them her specific situation so they can give her an exact answer.

If you have ESRD, you may not be able to buy the Medigap policy you want, or any Medigap policy, until you turn 65. Federal law doesn’t require insurance companies to sell Medigap policies to people under 65.

These states require the insurance companies to offer at least one kind of Medigap policy to people with Medicare under 65:
California* Maryland Oklahoma
Colorado Massachusetts** Oregon
Connecticut Michigan Pennsylvania
Delaware** Minnesota South Dakota
Florida Mississippi Tennessee
Georgia Missouri Texas
Hawaii New Hampshire Oklahoma
Illinois New Jersey Vermont*
Louisiana New York Wisconsin
Maine North Carolina

* A Medigap policy isn’t available to people with ESRD under 65.

** A Medigap policy is only available to people with ESRD.

If you’re already enrolled in Medicare Part B, you’ll get a Medigap open enrollment period when you turn 65. You’ll probably have a wider choice of Medigap policies and be able to get a lower premium at that time.

Even if you don’t live in any of these states, some insurance companies may voluntarily sell Medigap policies to people under 65, although they will probably cost you more than Medigap policies sold to people over 65, and they can use medical underwriting. Check with your state about what rights you may have under state law.

For state requirements, call your State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP).

Recent Financial Planning / Retirement Questions



a personal
finance question