Ask Terry Questions Pension with prior employer

Pension with prior employer

By Terry Savage on September 26, 2017 | Investments

Hi Terry, loved you for years! I left an employer that I worked for seven years and I left my pension there (401k I moved). What is your advice? Leave it, move it? Where to? It's worth about $40,000. Thanks so much!

Terry Says

I don't quite understand your question.  Did you move your 40l(k)?  If so that's a good idea.  You could move it to your new employer's plan.   But my suggestion would be to roll it over to Fidelity, Vanguard, or T. Rowe Price.  Let them handle the paperwork. Then invest it in their Equity-Income Fund (each has one) and let it grow until you're 70-1/2. But you used the word "pension".  Are they offering you a "pension buyout" -- instead of a monthly check at retirement age?  If that's the case, consider rolling it to a single-premium "deferred" annuity -- one that won't start paying out until age 75 or even later.  You'll be surprised at the estimates of income in the future. To find out more about these products click on this link, which will take you to the website of "StantheAnnuityMan"!  You can trust him, and these booklets explain everything, free of charge.



a personal
finance question