Ask Terry Questions Real Estate

Real Estate

By Terry Savage on October 09, 2023 | Wild Card

My husband wants a divorce – so we will be divorcing. The home we are currently living in was the home he had before we got married. My name is not on title and we do not have a mortgage. House is paid off. We have been married for 20 years and I have contributed to the housing expenses. Would I be able to get any funds from the value of the house in the divorce?

Terry Says

Oh absolutely. But it will depend on the skill of your lawyer. And oftentimes, the woman’s attorney is her own worst enemy (after her about-to-be ex-husband!). Please reply to the email you get saying your question has been answered, and I’ll try to point you in the right direction. Let me know where you live, what city/state.



a personal
finance question