Ask Terry Questions Retirement Supplement Advice

Retirement Supplement Advice

By Terry Savage on August 20, 2023 | Financial Planning / Retirement

Hi Terry, I am a 69 year old retired firefighter/paramedic with a downstate pension and a 457 deferred comp plan. I have yet to tap into my 457 plan, but I would like to put these funds into a safer product so economic downturns won’t affect it. What type of product should I transfer my funds into? Thank you!

Terry Says

You’ll want to do a rollover — but avoid the clutches of expensive advisors trying to sell you stuff!
Here’s an article about doing a direct rollover to a low-cost place like Fidelity or Vanguard.

Butit occurs to me that this might be a good time to start working with a Fee-Only, FIDUCIARY financial planner who can go over all aspects of your retirement plan — income, withdrawals, insurance, estate planning etc.
Here’s a good resource to find a planner you can trust:

Recent Financial Planning / Retirement Questions



a personal
finance question