Ask Terry Questions Reverse Mortgages — how to get counseling

Reverse Mortgages — how to get counseling

By Terry Savage on April 28, 2015 | Housing / Real Estate

I read your article in Sunday’s Tribune about Reverse Mortgages, good article. The article says that the government requires you to go to independent counseling. Where do you go or find one ? Thank You

Terry Says:  The reverse mortgage lender will give you a list of approved, independent HUD counselors — but will not recommend a specific one.   Many well-known agencies including the National Foundation for Consumer Credit ( have qualified counselors.  And at you will find not only a description of how counseling works, but a great article on how the process works.  Here’s a link to that page:  And here’s a link to the website page that will help you find a local counselor:




a personal
finance question