/ Ask Terry Questions / roth ira for child who is jobless

roth ira for child who is jobless

By Terry Savage on March 27, 2016 | Wild Card

Can a parent set up a Roth IRA for an adult child who is jobless?

Terry Says:  Contributions to a Roth IRA can only be made out of “earned income” — from work!  It doesn’t matter who makes the contribution, but the amount can be up to $5,500 for a person under age 50 — as long as they have earned at least that much money!   So, sadly the answer to your question is “no”.



a personal
finance question