By Terry Savage on December 03, 2023 | Financial Planning / Retirement

My company where I work was acquired so my vested RSUs were converted to $$; this is till sitting in that account (about 90k) What is the best way to invest this without getting taxed? My unvested RSUs have converted to the new company stock where they remain. I’m 63 y/o, looking to work full time for another year and then not sure.
Many thanks. U r the best!

Terry Says

First, please check with the HR department to make sure that conversion was not a taxable event! If it was, you will owe a lot of taxes — and maybe even a penalty.
But if these restricted stock units are deferred into the new company’s stock, you’ll have to ask them what they will allow re sales. You may have to keep them until you leave the company. Again, ask the HR department what your options are.

Then you need a fee-only FIDUCIARY financial planner to help you do the smart thing to create a retiremetn income plan — perhaps using this money sooner, and delaying SS until your full retirement age, another two years! Please read this link.

Recent Financial Planning / Retirement Questions



a personal
finance question