Ask Terry Questions Savings Bond Redemption

Savings Bond Redemption

By Terry Savage on March 14, 2023 | Chicken Money

When I redeem a $10M matured EE bond & use form 1522, do I sign the back of the bond or does the signature certification on the form suffice? Will Federal withholding be automatically taken (10%) ?
Should the form & bond be sent via “Certified Mail with a Return Receipt” ? I’ve tried calling Treasury Retail Services and always get a message that the hold time is about 1 hour.
Thank you for any information you are able to give me.

Terry Says

Here’s what Treasury sent to me when I forwarded your question:

If they sign the form and have it certified, they do not need to sign the back of the bond.

We do not do automatic withholding for the customer.

Standard mail is fine unless the customer would prefer the confirmation from the USPS. If they put their email address on the form, they should receive an email when their case is ingested.



a personal
finance question