Ask Terry Questions Selling stock — old certificate

Selling stock — old certificate

By Terry Savage on August 12, 2018 | Wild Card

I have a stock certificate for 100 shares in my bank safe deposit box. Over the years stock splits have been recorded in some kind of direct registry format. How do I go about selling my holdings? I have a paper statement declaring total shares held. Thank you.

Terry Says

On the back of the certificate there will be a “transfer agent” listed — likely a bank. Contact them with the certificate number and original date on the certificate. They can tell you how many shares you have now — and what they are worth. Or if you have an account at a full-service brokerage firm, you can give them that information and a PHOTOCOPY of the certificate, front and back, and they may do it for you.

I’m assuming that this is a public company and still in business. But if the certificate is not from a currently listed company, you can contact Stock Search International and ask them to find out the value of very old certificates. They charge a fee of $85 for this service.



a personal
finance question