Ask Terry Questions Should my son file taxes?

Should my son file taxes?

By Terry Savage on February 04, 2014 | Taxes & Economy

My 15 year old son earned under $2000 this summer and his employer withheld federal tax. Is there any benefit to filing a tax return for him? I don’t believe he is required to file but I wonder if he would be entitled to a return.

Terry Says:  I think you need to see your own accountant, CPA for specific advice on how to handle this.  Yes, he should file to get the refund of any income taxes withheld (though FICA — Social Security tax won’t be refunded).  But it may be beneficial to do this as part of your return, or not — depending on your income and the amounts involved.  So I hesitate to give any advice here, not knowing the complete picture.



a personal
finance question