Ask Terry Questions social security

social security

By Terry Savage on August 03, 2015 | Financial Planning / Retirement

my mother was collecting her own ss until my dad died, then went to ss to get widows benifits. it then she found out ss was under paying her. is she entitled to back pay from ss

Terry Says:  Well, I must admit that this one has me stumped.  You have the advantage since SS told you that she was previously underpaid.  And I did find evidence that SS will make up back disability pay, but nothing about underpayments to beneficiaries in retirement.  I’m going to suggest that you call them at 1-800-772-1213.  You will have to sit on the phone for a while!  Be prepared to give her information, and she should be in the same room to give her consent for them to talk to you.  And please do let me know whether they send you an adjustment for those underpayments.  (Also, remember that a large one-time payment would have to be reported on her tax return for the current year — and could potentially impact her eligibility or costs for some other government programs.)

Recent Financial Planning / Retirement Questions



a personal
finance question