Ask Terry Questions SS..or widows pension

SS..or widows pension

By Terry Savage on November 21, 2013 | Financial Planning / Retirement

I am 62 years old working 25 hours per week as caregiver yo my 93 year old boss for last 14 years….my husband passed away two years ago and I want to know if I am entitled to widows pension…would it be more than SS….

Terry Says:  You are definitely entitled to a portion of your late husband’s Social Security.  And then if you ever paid in to SS, you will be entitled to your own benefits, or those of your late spouse, whichever is larger.  To find out about that go to or call them at 800-772-1213.   If you are working for cash as a caregiver, and your boss does not have you on the payroll at his company, or is not deducting income and Social Security taxes from the money he is giving you, then this work will not count toward your Social Security benefits.  When he dies, unless he leaves you money in his will, you will just be out of luck.  I suggest you talk to him, or to his family members, about increasing your salary to reflect the amount you should be paying in to Social Security on your independent earnings.

Recent Financial Planning / Retirement Questions



a personal
finance question