By Terry Savage on May 02, 2024 | Wild Card

My father gifted stocks for myself and my children from SBC about 10 years ago. I have the account numbers but am unable to get through to them to find out what happened to them. Is this money now lost?

Terry Says

Do you have ANY paper records, or the certificates themselves?  If you have the certificates, just contact the “transfer agent” — the bank listed on the back.

If the shares were held in a brokerage account,  you should have some sort of record.  But without any paperwork, the money is likely gone.

If they didn’t hear from you, they probably escheated the money to the state.  So contact your state treasurer about unclaimed property.   In Illinois the website is:  Illinois Unclaimed Property – Official State Site (



a personal
finance question