Ask Terry Questions Tax relief help

Tax relief help

By Terry Savage on March 12, 2024 | Taxes & Economy

My 65 yr old brother hit a brick wall financially and emotionally. He’s working in a restaurant (not earning much) and staying in my house. Turns out he didn’t file taxes for several years as a Realtor, an independent contractor. The IRS found him after he filed this year. I need to get him connected with someone with expertise. Can you offer suggestions? Thanks

Terry Says

I have never recommended one of those “tax relief” services. Instead, I’d suggest starting with the IRS though their taxpayer assistance office.
Here’s a link that will help:

They also have a low income taxpayer service. It sounds like your brother would qualify:

Remember, we don’t have debtor’s prisons in America. Sounds like he doesn’t have anything in the way of assets to garnish. So I’d start with these links and talk directly with the IRS, since he is already a target.

Please write back and let me know what happens. This one will be on my mind!

Recent Taxes & Economy Questions



a personal
finance question