Ask Terry Questions Unclaimed property laws!

Unclaimed property laws!

By Terry Savage on May 30, 2019 | Wild Card

How do I go about claiming my unclaimed shares from the state for my property. Thanks

Terry Says

First, it would be helpful if you have some documentation!  Did the brokerage firm that held the shares contact you?  Did you not receive notices that your shares were being “escheated” to the state?

It should be escheated to the state of residence of the original owner, but that may not be the case if you have moved.  The first step is to contact your state Treasurer’s office.  If you live in Illinois, here is the website url.



a personal
finance question