How will the government find you to issue the stimulus check?
– You don’t have to register if you filed a tax return in 2019 or 2018.
– You don’t have to register if you receive Social Security, SSI, or Disability — even if you DON’T file a tax return.
BUT, if you do not receive a Federal benefit you must register. The Care Act said the government will set up a website. But TurboTax beat them to it!!
So here’s how to register if you want the government to know who you are and where to send (or direct deposit) your Stimulus Check.
Here’s a direct link to the page at TurboTax.com that lets you register.
You will answer four simple questions. Then scroll down to the Yellow Box that says Register Now.
Here’s the information you will need:
– Mailing Address or Direct Deposit information
– Do you have dependents under age 17 (or were you taken as a dependent)
– Social Security Number
Who should register?
– Independent students age 17 or older, who are no longer a dependent on a parent’s return — but did not earn enough income to file a tax return
– Low income people who receive only state benefits — Mediaid, for example, and do not need to file a tax return.
– SNAP (formerly food stamps) or Aid to Families With Dependent Children recipients should register, in case it takes a while to reconcile these programs in the federal process.
Again, and importantly, you do NOT need to register if you receive a SS or Disability or SSI check from the government. Your check will arrive in the same way as your Federal benefits.
HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE TO GET YOUR CHECK? Sources inside the Treasury say that while they want to start within weeks, it could take months to get this money paid out to the recipients.