Ask Terry Questions best pre-tax investments for teachers

best pre-tax investments for teachers

By Terry Savage on August 22, 2019 | College Savings / Student Loans

Hi Terry,
I am a teacher and would like to use part of my paycheck to invest in my retirement and also to fund my children’s college funds. Can you recommend some pretax investments I can make?

Terry Says

You can open an individual retirement account (IRA) at Fidelity or Vanguard, and contribute up to $6,000.  And you can open a 529 college savings account at either Fidelity or Vanguard.   Frankly, I’m delighted that you have “extra” money to invest.  I assume you’re also earning a pension or have a retirement plan at work.  So I’d start with the 529 college savings plan for your children.  It lets your money grow tax-free for college.  To learn more go to 

Recent College Savings / Student Loans Questions



a personal
finance question