By Terry Savage on October 24, 2018 | Credit/Debt

I have incurred a large amount of credit card debt. My husband’s name is not on the cards. It is now choking me and I need to consolidate and make a pay off plan without my husband having to put his financial goals completely on hold. I also want to pay it as it is my issue. What do you suggest. My debt is currently 40% of my income. Help!

Terry Says

You need to immediately call the National Foundation for Credit Counseling at 800-388-2227. That will automatically connect you to the nearest local office. You can discuss over the phone or make an appointment to go in and see them. And I’m pretty sure they will tell you that since you are married, this is your husband’s problem, too! Although the cards are in your name, if you file a joint return or jointly own a home, any late payments will likely impact his credit standing as well. So, both of you should go to this meeting and see the best course to pay down this debt — and then start saving for the future.



a personal
finance question