Ask Terry Questions Health insurance

Health insurance

By Terry Savage on August 29, 2019 | Insurance & Annuities

My husband owns his own business, truck driving, but he is the only employee… can we get small business insurance? If I added myself on as secretary, can we qualify? But we barely bring any income in on his own, there is so many overheads, he wouldn’t be able to give me much of an income!

Terry Says

Qkualifying requires at least two employees — even if only one decides to enroll in the insurance plan.  You’ll need to be a full-time employee for at least a year, and that means he would have to make payroll tax contributions on your behalf.  Contact and ask them to run the numbers to see if you could save enough on insurance (or get demonstrably better insurance benefits) to make this work for you for next year.



a personal
finance question