Ask Terry Questions Helping with college tuition

Helping with college tuition

By Terry Savage on February 29, 2024 | College Savings / Student Loans

My grandson is now in his first year of college. He did not qualify for any federal help but did get some money from a couple of smaller sources. Is there any tax advantage for me to contribute to his tuition? One of my graduation gifts to him was to pay for his books which really hasn’t happened yet as his parents say that he really doesn’t have that many.

Terry Says

Pay his tuition directly to the college or university bursar’s office. Any amount you want. It doesn’t even count against your annual $18,000 gift tax exclusion. This is a great gift to him and his parents!

Recent College Savings / Student Loans Questions



a personal
finance question