By Terry Savage on June 01, 2015 | College Savings / Student Loans

Hi Terry my son will be attending college this fall. in order for him to start I still owe the high school. im not working i got hurt at work im on workers comp need to get a loan to pay the high school .my credit i s 680 will ib able to get a loan or can i co sign for him. I’ll be getting a settlement will they take in to consideration that I’ll be able to repay it in a reasonable time. Thanks

Terry Says:  OK, these are two separate issues:  repaying high school, and planning for college.  You should contact the high school finance office, let them know about your pending settlement and tell them they are tops on the list for repayment.  I’m guessing they will understand.

College for your son is a different story.  Did you file the FAFSA form, which is required for all students seeking Federal financial aid?  While you’re talking to the high school, ask if their guidance counselor can step in and help get not only Federal student loans, but perhaps a scholarship for school, assuming he has already been accepted.    That’s free money that doesn’t have to be repaid.  There are also work-study programs, that could have your son work in a dining hall, in exchange for food.  But fall is only a few months away, and most funds are already spoken for.  Don’t procrastinate!

Recent College Savings / Student Loans Questions



a personal
finance question